Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

Souperbowl
I am going to visit with my friend Alan for the Superbowl. To say that this guy is a big eater and appreciator of good food is like saying Dan Marino, Johnny Unitas and Joe Montana could handle the ball well. Bless him, he loves my cooking...overdone, underdone, well done, whatever and it's pure joy watching him eat. It's a whole new science with him. Though I'm going to be away from home, we needed a hearty, totally wonderful meal to go with the cold weather and football (that can also travel). Enter the Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup. My sister and I made this for my Mom's birthday before Christmas and it was a big hit. It's both easy and forgiving to make and guys love it (well, my brother-in-law anyway).
As I am prone to changing recipes, I'll include the ones I made here, but you can link the original recipe through my sister's blog, Make It Bake It Buy It Fake It (above).
I increased the amounts in the mirepoix (a mixture of onion, carrot and celery). Also called the 'trinity,' it is the base of most soups (say Amen). Upping each by 1/2 cup. The chicken broth...well let's just say: check the contents of your opened containers before going to the store. I had two containers, two partially used containers in the fridge equalling only 2+ cups! Luckily, I also had a container of mushroom stock (very earthy and delicious) in the pantry and some Better Than Bullion (expensive, but lasts forever) I had never tried before...now we have the 6 cups needed. Wild rice was nowhere to be found, but I did have this great find from Safeway...Brown and Wild Rice with Quinoa, which I absolutely love for it's healthy, crunchy, goodness and it's down right fast cooking time. Ninety seconds and done...no mess. Though different from before, it's still amazing and I can't wait to watch it be devoured. Go Steelers!
enjoy,
~Marta

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, it sounds great to try out in the snowy weather. Should warm me to my toes so I looking forward to trying it. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete

We love to get comments here in our kitchen...