When Life Hands You Apples...
...Make Apple Pie!
I had occasion to share dessert tonight, and though I don't consider myself a baker, I found myself baking not one, but two pies I'd never tried before! The occasion didn't come to fruition as planned, but if that ever happens, invite friends over. You'll have no shortage of takers that's for sure! Glad I did. Instant party. This recipe is easy and delicious, but does take a little forethought.
Some options and/or things I did differently (you know me, I can't seem to keep to the recipe) are:
- Doubled the recipe
- Triple the amount of Cinnamon (it's soo much better)
- Increase the amount of apples
- I used the apples in the recipe but the Golden Delicious are too sweet and mushy for my taste
- Cut the granulated sugar by 1/3 to 1/2. Honestly, it's sweet enough!
- On one of the pies, instead of putting the walnuts in the streusel topping, I placed the dough in the pan and put a layer of walnuts at the bottom before spooning the apples in. You can use other types of nuts also or leave them out completely
- Using pre-made pie dough is also an option (Trader Joes or Pillsbury is recommended)
- If serving wine with this dessert (and why wouldn't you?), a German Riesling would go nicely!