Thursday, June 17, 2010

Mom's Inside-Out Ravioli

This is a quick and easy casserole to make that is practically idiot-proof (I say that because there is always someone who has had a bad day, etc etc etc!). This is one of those wonderful recipes that can taste even better as reheated leftovers (and no one really knows why...just one of those simple acts of God...Thank you Lord!).

1 lb. ground beef
1 med. yellow onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1 10 oz. package frozen chopped spinach (don't say ew! It's Good for you!)
1 8 oz. can (1 cup) tomato sauce
1/2 teas. salt
1 7 oz. package (2 cups) shell or elbow macaroni, cooked
4 oz. sharp processed American cheese, shredded
2 eggs, well beaten (give 'em what for...great for when you can't yell at somebody)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (1 lbs. can) can/jar spaghetti sauce with mushrooms (use your favorite, what the heck!)
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
dash pepper
1/2 cup soft breadcrumbs (meaning 2 slices bread without the crust, non-toasted)
1/4 cup salad oil (veggie oil or EVOO)

Preheat oven to 350°. Brown ground beef and onion in a bit of oil (I use my EVOO but you may not have to depending upon how much fat is in the ground beef, drain excess fat if need be). Cook spinach according to package directions. Drain, reserving the liquid from this and then add water to make 1 cup. Stir spinach liquid and (8 oz. can of) tomato sauce, salt, pasta, cheese and eggs into the meat mixture. Simmer 10 minutes. While this is simmering, combine spinach with garlic, spaghetti sauce, tomato paste, pepper, breadcrumbs and salad oil and spread this into a 13x9x2 inch baking dish. Top with meat mixture. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Makes 8-10 servings.


Tastes great with a green salad. For dessert, try some fantastic Cherry Chocolate Cake or something such. Don't have the Cherry Chocolate Cake recipe? Hmmmm, guess I will have to try to find that one!

(Update: GASP!!!! For those of you who know me and my love for my ....key angels singing...Kitchen Aid mixer, you may have heard that I was momentarily delayed from using it due to a slight set back of it making terrible, nasty, horrible grinding noises and oil burning smells...Oh NO!!! Can we now praise Costco for their wonderful return/exchange policy? I am now up and running with my new machine...ahhhhhh! Perhaps the first thing I should do with it is the Cherry Chocolate Cake recipe...)


Stay tuned...

3 comments:

  1. Mmmm...love a good casserole! This sounds really good and I have everything to make it with already. All we have is regular cheddar though... do you think I could sub that in for the cheese?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't see why not, I couldn't really taste a major cheese influence, although I am sure it is there otherwise why would they put it in?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm stuck on your phrase: "major cheese influence"! Don't know why, can't get it out of my head! For the record though, I think more foods could use a major cheese influence. The world would be a better (or should that be "butter") place.

    ReplyDelete

We love to get comments here in our kitchen...