Saturday, January 1, 2011

Winter White Chili

Happy New Year!
Once again, on New Year's Eve, I was to forgo any magnificent parties and revelry, to instead, prepare my "Winter White Chili" for the La Jolla Cove Swim Club's annual Polar Bear Plunge and Chili Potluck. I created this recipe 2yrs ago for this event and it was a hit once again this year.

Note to self: hold out a little extra for when I finish my swim...there was nothing left again this year! You see some swim 1-2miles and some just dip their big toe in the big blue..."to the victors go the spoils!" Because the club Big Chill Winter Swim Program affords double mile points on event days, I take full advantage. I swam to the Cove and back (2.0mi x2 = 4.0mi)...no hot food or drink for me (at least until I got home)!
Winter White Chili

Ingredients:
1 lb Dried Navy Beans
4 c. Chicken Stock
2 c. White Wine (plus a splash at the end...and some for the chef)
4 Tbsp Butter
1 Tbsp Garlic (minced)
1 small hot pepper (seeded and diced)
1 c. White or Sweet Onion (diced)
1 ½ c. Green Chiles (chopped)
1 Yellow bell Pepper (seeded and chopped)
1 can White Corn
1 jar Sliced Mushrooms
1 lb Chicken (cooked and chopped)
1 Lime (juiced)
1 ½ Tbsp Ground Cumin
1 ½ Tbsp Dried Oregano
½ Tbsp Ground Black Pepper
½ Tbsp Ground White Pepper
1 tsp NM Chili Powder
1 tsp Sea Salt
1 Pinch Red Pepper Flakes
½ Bunch Cilantro (chopped)

Directions:
Rinse beans well, cover with cool water and soak over night. Drain. Rinse and Drain again. Place beans in slow cooker with chicken stock and wine. Set on high for 1 hour. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, chiles, corn and mushrooms and sauté for 8-10min. Add to slow cooker. Add chicken pcs, cumin, oregano, peppers, and cilantro. Lower heat, cover and cook on low for 8hrs or until done. As an option, add a splash more wine (for you too) and 1/2 tsp more NM Chili Powder at the finish to layer the flavor. Serve. Top with favorite toppings ie. White Cheddar Cheese or Sour Cream.

First created and served @ Polar Bear Plunge NY’s Day 2009. Enjoy.
~Marta

3 comments:

  1. I definitely need to make this! Goodness knows, I won't be plunging into the cold winter ocean just to get a bowl of it! Thanks for posting the recipe for us non-polar bears...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can sure apply the "fake it" method to this recipe Steph. Bought a roasted chicken from CostCo and you can pick up pre cut onions, garlic, mushrooms etc. I think both you and Scott would really like this. Maybe we can make it when I visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My method is to just use a knife.... it's way cheaper!

    ReplyDelete

We love to get comments here in our kitchen...